Sunday, January 30, 2011

DIY Chalkboard Storage Boxes


I've been wanting cute storage containers for my room for a while now and decided to paint a couple of shoeboxes solid black. Then I was looking at Lemme Make It and Kristin had painted a banner with chalkboard paint. So I figured I could do the same with my shoeboxes. I went down to Lowes and they had a container for $13 (which will last me forever) and so I came home and got to work.
Supplies
I probably had to paint on at least three coats. I would recommend doing your last one (or maybe all three) with a sponge because the paint strokes were very evident on mine. I liked the look but it makes writing on the chalk a little less smooth.
Finished Product
I love them! They live on my bookshelf and look great. I love that I don't need to worry about making new labels if I decide they need to contain something else. Total spent was $13, but my can of paint is still almost full, so I'd say these storage boxes cost less then $1 each!

No comments: